The term rafting comes from the word whitewater rafting or rafting which in free translation in English means wading through the river by boat relying on the ability to paddle. As with the International Rafting Federation (IRF), the notion of rafting or rafting as “a human activity in navigating rivers by relying on its skill and physical strength to row a soft boat that is generally accepted as a social, commercial and sporting activity.”
Although at the beginning of its development in Indonesia the term rafting has some mention, but in this competency standard the term “white water rafting” is used as a term to mention a “river wading activity using rubber boats or other similar rides with the crew of two or more people who rely on the power of paddling “.
The expertise of a trip leader in designing and managing travel becomes very important. A guide is not enough just skilled and skilled in rafting but must also have the ability to communicate in foreign languages, managing camping sites, cooking as well as being an environmental interpreter. Equipment and equipment and equipment used in white water rafting are distinguished according to the needs of the group / team and the length of time to wade the river, which is as follows:
1. Rubber Boat = inflatable raft for the benefit of rafting sport, made from synthetic rubber in such a way as to be strong but still elastic. This subject is intended to withstand the scratches and clash of river stones. The shape and the design of the stern and the contrived ball is rather sticking out so that water is not easy to enter and can protect the stability of the boat when through the big waves. Generally the boat consists of parts of the air tube, this subject is intended if the tube between boats leak / break, then for a specific time the boat can still float. The length and width of the boat are generally 2 in proportion, and this is highly dependent on the maximum weight capacity of the boat.
2. Paddle = Paddle as a tool paddle on rafting whites as much as possible-made made from strong but easy; For example mahogany wood and a combination of fiberglass and aluminum. Oars used by boat crews, the length ranges from 4, 5-6 feet. But usually 5 – 5, 5 feet. Actually the determinant factor of the length of the oars is three things, namely: the body and the ability of the crew, the diameter of the boat tube, as well as the benefits, as a rower crew or rower or captain. Regardless of the size of the boat’s crew and the size of the boat, the paddles used by the captain are 5, 5-6 feet, but for shorter boat crews.
3. Pumps and pumping equipment used for the contents of the vessels of the boat air shall always be carried at the time of the river. Because the subject is to protect if the air in the tubes is shrunk / deflated. Designated with repair equipment related to pump and boat repairs (due to tearing, puncturing and so on).
4. Rope rubber rope equipped with karmantle type straps for 40 mtr. Which is used as: footstool, boat crew safety and periodic rope.
5. Map of the river. Generally used the topography of the river. Useful as a guide for estimating terrain conditions as well as a streamable river situation, as well as where more streams flow.
6. Plastic bucket or bucket. Used to draw water into the inner side of the boat. Generally the use of buckets / buckets is done if the water entering remains relatively small. If it has been too much, to dispose of it more effectively reverse the boat, which must have first taken the boat to the edge. The importance of passage into this boat is that the boat is easily controlled.
7. Absolute equipment must be brought. Type and amount of the drug can be in accordance with the terrain situation and the need along the river
- Buoys = good float type as well as true for rafting is a buoy that corresponds to the size of the posture, filled with a thin cork (can act as a barrier impact on hard objects). Feasibility can be seen from the proven qualifications in terms of buoyancy for maximum weight. For the possibility of dealing with emergency situations, consideration should be given to the use of buoys with the addition of the back of the head, so that the head continues to float up, if unconscious. To protect the buoy from rising or sticking up over time, the bottom side of the buoy can be tied to the groin or the other side of the body which is very possible.
- shoes make foot protection from possible injury, wear type shoes that can make ankle protection, but the ankle can keep moving freely, calculated to lighten for swimming.
- helm (head protector) wading through the river rafting with irregular rocks or rivers with high degree of distress, the helmet is absolutely used. The goal is to create a head protection from the possibility of collision of hard objects. A good helmet should be easy, waterproof and does not interfere with sight or movement.
- survival kit survival equipment, must always stick in the body, but try not to interrupt our movement. Generally consisting of a folding knife, a waterproof match, and so on. As mentioned above, the length of time to wade the river also changes the goods that need to be brought. Then additional equipment is needed if the rafting takes at least 1 week, namely:
1. handy talky for communication with ground team.
2. waterproof container
4. camping supplies
5. cooking utensils, eating, drinking.